Each year the European Inventor Award is bestowed upon some lucky inventor by the European Patent Office. Fifteen individuals and teams with ground-breaking inventions give answers to the challenges of our time and thus contribute to social progress, economic growth and prosperity. This year's award ceremony will take place in Venice on the 15th of June. For each one of the fifteen nominees, the European Patent Office produced a short film of high journalistic and visual quality featuring the finalists’ field and their inventions. Check below for these films!
5 CATEGORIES & 15 FINALISTS:
- Lilijeryd (SE) - Digital Compression - Industry
- Remuzzi / Benigni / Zoja (IT) – Treatments for chronic kidney disease – Industry
- Boogaart / Hayden (NL/AT) - Rapid blood test for malaria - Industry
- Clevers (NL) - Lab-grown human organs - Research
- Lestarquit / Rodriguez (FR/ES) - Radio signals for better satellite navigation - Research
- Muller (FR) - Treating lupus by targeting T-cells - Research
- Gruter (NL) - Plant-based plastic bottles - Small and medium-sized enterprises
- Hufschmid (DE) - Super-sponge for oil spills - Small and medium-sized enterprises
- Lindsey (UK) - Energy-saving rotary air compressor - Small and medium-sized enterprises
- Hassanein (US) - Sustaining transplant organs - Non-EPO countries
- Fujimoto / Swanson / Huber (US/DE) - High resolution medical imaging (OCT) - Non-EPO countries
- Remmal (MA) - Boosting antibiotics with essential oils - Non-EPO countries
- Mock (CH) - Swatch, ultrasound welding and more - Lifetime achievement
- Rappuoli (IT) - Novel vaccines by gene analysis - Lifetime achievement
- Ullrich (DE) - Stopping cancer at the root - Lifetime achievement
But there can only be one winner per category plus one audience award - voted online.
So let the games begin!
The 15 finalists are selected by a jury of international experts from various fields: economy, science, research and teaching are but a few.
But what’s a prize without a gala? The prize is awarded during a big gala in Venice on the 15th of June and is attended by high-profile figures from politics, economy and science.
Don't miss your chance to be the sole broadcaster of these ideas in your country.
Can’t share what you don’t know! Be the one to spread the knowledge!
In order to introduce the activities of the European Patent Office to a wider public, the films are braodcasted on international TV stations or are featured on their online platforms. In each country one broadcaster gets the opportunity to partner up with this project.
Join us to celebrate the spirit of invention!