Mass Tourism - Massive Problems?
9 x 45' (GER, ENG subs)
Popular destinations attract thousands of tourists every year. We will have a look behind the scenes on Majorca, Ibiza, Croatia, South Africa and the Canary Islands.
Consequences of the tourism boom can be seen around the globe by the striking gap between locals and tourists: unaffordable housing, low wages and rationed drinking water. We will have a look at Mallorca, one of the favourite islands in the Mediterranean and it being on the verge of collapse. The consequences of the tourism boom can also be felt in Croatia and the Canary Islands, where local politicians fear social unrest because of the gap between holidaymakers and the population.
This series does not intend to spoil travelling, but wants to draw critical attention to the side effects of mass tourism and sharpen the awareness for a conscientious approach to other cultures and environments.
During the production, the authors themselves are travelers, renting accommodation in tourist hotels, and shooting inconspicuously. In a minimal team of two, research and shooting go hand in hand. The reportage camera is always supplemented by landscape shots and drone flights, so that the beauty of the travel destination is captured in addition to the local problems.
Read more …
1. Safari in South Africa - From Snapshot to Shooting
2. Majorca to Ibiza - Islands about to Collapse
3. The Canary Islands - Islands of the Unemployed
4. Unlimited Croatia - Tourist Fever by the Adriatic Sea
5. Volunteers around the Globe - Beneficiaries of Aid
6. Thailand - Destruction in Paradise
7. Bulgaria - Not a Party for Everybody
8. Sylt - Island for the Rich?
9. Trekking at the Mount Everest New Episode
Pictures © WDR
||2018 - 2020
||9 x 45' (GER, ENG subs)
You will need to login in order to watch Screener!